Event: Seeing Through the Lens of The New Jim Crow to Dr. King’s Beloved Community
Date: Monday, Jan. 19, 2015
Time: 12:30 PM (registration) to 3:00 PM
Place: Juanita Sanchez Education Complex Cafetorium, 182 Thurbers Ave, Providence.
This event is free.
Join the Rhode Island Civil Rights Roundtable (organized by Rhode Island for Community & Justice) and Serve Rhode Island for inspiration, education, refreshments and conversation on how history and issues illuminated in “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in an Age of Colorblindness” play out in Rhode Island.
Cierra Putman, Reporter for WJAR TV and past Vice President of the Southern NE Black Journalists Association will Emcee the event. She will lead a panel of community leaders, and the audience, in discussing how Alexander’s renowned book related to our state, and most importantly, what we can do this year together, to work toward solutions. Panelists are:
* Roline Burgison, DARE (housing)
* Denise Carpenter, Providence Public Schools (education)
* Sal Monteiro, Institute for the Study and Practice of Nonviolence (employment)
* Commissioner Steven Pare, City of Providence (public safety)
* Jordan Seaberry, ULMAC and Coalition Against Racial Profiling (disparities in justice)
For information, please contact: